Hosted by Movement Education is delighted to announce that they have arranged for First Generation Pilates teacher Lolita San Miguel to travel to Leeds, West Yorkshire for two very special events in April. Both events are co-hosted by Chapel Allerton Pilates.
Join Lolita San Miguel for 'An Evening with Lolita San Miguel' on Monday 29th April and Historical Mat Pilates Day on Tuesday 30th April.
About Lolita San Miguel
Lolita trained in ballet at the School of American Ballet and also studied other forms of dance such as Spanish, Modern and Jazz, as well as piano. Lolita graduated in 1952 from Performing Arts High School, a wonderful school that pioneered the concept of combining the arts with a formal education.
Upon graduation, Lolita joined the Slavenska – Franklin Ballet Company and toured the U.S. on a bus for 48 weeks. Lolita then went on to join the Metropolitan Opera Ballet in 1954 where she became a soloist. In 1958 Lolita suffered a knee injury and was advised by her Doctor that she would need knee surgery and recommended Lolita keep the quadriceps strong in order to protect the knee joint, therefore, suggested that she attend Carola Trier’s Pilates Studio. Carola Trier had been trained by Joseph Pilates. She was an ex-dancer and acrobat and her studio in Manhattan was frequented by dancers and athletes in need of fitness and rehabilitation. Ms. Trier had two assistants working for her Romana Kryzanowska and Kathleen Stanford Grant.
This was Lolita’s first introduction to The Pilates Method and the beginning of a romance, which has lasted till the present day. After being a client of Mrs. Trier for many years she suggested that when Lolita stopped dancing, that she became her apprentice to teach The Pilates Method. Lolita went on to apprentice with Carola for 520 hours, (26 weeks, 20 hours a week) under the auspices of New York State University Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and became the only person that Carola Trier ever certified. Following this training Lolita discovered that Joseph Pilates was alive and had his studio several blocks away from Carola’s at 939 Eighth Ave.
In 2009 I began a new phase as a teacher with the Lolita San Miguel Pilates Master Mentor Program. The two-year program for certified teachers with three years of teaching experience has brought me excellent, devoted teachers from all six continents. They bond beautifully since they are all truly passionate about The Pilates Method. They named themselves “Lolita’s Disciples™” and they will be imparting my legacy to many others through my training program. They bring me great joy!
An Evening With Lolita San Miguel
Monday 29th April, 6:45-9:15pm
An evening with Lolita San Miguel, First Generation Pilates Teacher, trained by Joseph Pilates.
98 Chapeltown Road
- Arrival drinks
- 2 hour talk from Lolita on her training including a Q&A session with the audience.
- Group photograph
Attendees can submit their questions via Facebook ahead of the event.
Historial Mat Day
Date: Tuesday 30th April 2019, 9am-4pm
Northern School of Contemporary Dance
98 Chapeltown Road
Lolita is a shining example of someone who is personally invested in the development and professionalism of the Pilates industry. Lolita challenges herself to continue learning and mentoring to continue meeting our developing industry standards. She is a true leader, someone who has the ultimate in direct knowledge of the ‘historic’ Pilates technique. Lolita will share this experience with you first hand at this very special Lolita shares Historical Mat Pilates Day with you.
**Lunch and a certificate of attendance signed by Lolita**
A brief lecture on the history of Joseph and Cara Pilates and the Pilates Method
Lolita’s background and how she came across the method in 1958
- Floor warm up with an emphasis on breathing, foot work and use of the gaze.
Mat Repertoire and beginner, intermediate and advanced levels
- Principles of breathing and alignment at all competency levels
- The original props – ball, dowell and ring for use at all levels
- Examination of how Joseph Pilates and Carola Trier taught mat work compared to how the exercises are taught now by Lolita and other First and Second Generation teachers.
- Repertoire variations; application of sports science to classical ‘repertoire’
- Rollups and Hundred
- Regarding ‘Sequencing’ – how Joseph Pilates taught, how Lolita teaches today
Partner work at intermediate level
- Roll up
Advanced level repertoire
- Neck pull
- Control Balance
- Finish with standing work – translation of floor work to standing
- Head work
- Shoulder, arm, elbow mobility
- Standing roll down
- Walk out into elephant
- Postural assessment
- Plies, releves
If you have any questions regarding either of these exclusive events in Leeds, West Yorkshire please contact the Hosted by M.E team on;
Please sign up to our mailing list so we can keep you up to date on our other upcoming events;
How to book
Secure your place for either event by making a payment in full via Paypal. dates
- In order to secure your place on either event dates payment must be made in full via PayPal using either your PayPal account or debit or credit card (within PayPal): https://paypal.me/hostedbyME
- Due to the close proximity of the events we require payment in full to reserve your place. We do not accept deposits.
- Cancellation – we accept cancellations 6 weeks before the event minus a 10% administration fee. Any cancellations after 6 weeks are non-refundable.